Lunchtime is the one meal of the day I most often skip as a mom. After corraling the kids into their high chairs, getting bibs on, filling their plates full of food all cut up into little chunks, finding their waters, getting them the right silverware etc etc. I just don’t ever feel like I have the time to actually sit and eat anything myself.
Let’s be real, the moment we as moms sit down to eat anyway, someone immediately needs something from us… more food, more drink, complaints about the food we prepared for them or on most occasions in my house I am preventing food from flying all over the floor after my toddler has had “enough” of his meal. Therefore, lunchtime usually consists of me snacking on a few of my kid’s treats or eating the parts of their meal they refused to eat.
However, I realize lunchtime is one of the most important meals to successfully help me get through the rest of my day. So I have a simple list and easy instructions for three quick but healthy lunches for any busy moms skipping lunch. All these meals can be modified for dietary restrictions such as gluten-free, dairy-free or vegan.
1. Hummus and Cucumber Sandwich
Hummus is an all-natural really awesome high protein food primarily made from chickpeas that offers a very easy lunchtime meal.
- To make this sandwich simply take one to two slices of your favorite bread (I choose a sprouted 9 grain to get a little extra nutrition)
- Spread a thick layer of hummus (flavored or plain whatever your preference)
- Add some thinly sliced cucumbers
- Add one piece of provolone cheese or whatever your favorite cheese might be
- Enjoy with a side of wheat thins, carrots, grapes or your favorite potato chips!
2. Rotisserie Chicken Salad
This is maybe the easiest lunch meal you can make for yourself moms! It literally takes 3 minutes or less to make and can be customized in any way with your favorite veggies or toppings.
- Pick up one of those instant, hot, pre-made rotisserie chickens from the store
- A bag of your favorite lettuce (I like butter lettuce or those pre-made salad kits)
- Toss in some chopped tomatoes, cucumbers and carrots (or whatever veggies you like)
- Add some of your favorite dressing (I really like it with a poppyseed) and enjoy it!
- Bonus: if you are making your kiddos chicken nuggets for lunch make a few extra and cut them up and toss them in a salad if you didn’t pick up a rotisserie chicken.
3. Hard-Boiled Eggs, Apple slices or Grapes with Cheese and Crackers
This lunch packs the best of the best nutrients with all sorts of snack type items you might have lying around the house pantry or fridge.
- Make a bunch of hard-boiled eggs for you and the kids once a week for a quick and healthy protein-packed snack available anytime in the fridge
- Wash grapes and put them in a large bowl in the fridge for easy snacking
- Wheat Thins, Triscuits, Ritz whole wheat crackers or pretzels all make perfect additions to this quick meal for your grains serving
- Cheese selection of your choice for some calcium and flavor
Lunch does not have to be complicated, it can be simple, quick and healthy especially when it comes to limited time. Make sure you take care of yourself, mama, so that you can keep being that awesome mom I know you are!
I hope you enjoy these easy but healthy lunch suggestions and continue to work hard at raising your kids and doing what is best for them no matter what circumstances might come your way! Have a great rest of your week!