Recently we started attending a new church as a family, which is not very easy considering we came from a church where we were actively involved and one of the core families in the church. We decided to try this church for a month and see how things operate, get to hear different speakers, have our children attend the kid’s ministries and get a feel for the community and core values of the church.
This church had just started a summer series called “Winning the Battle With Discouragement” and let me tell you it feels as if God is speaking directly to me through these sermons. I am not sure if you have ever had something like this happen to you but I know when I need to hear something from God and I am not listening- He finds a way to tell me. I wanted to share a little bit of what God’s Word says and summarize some of the key points brought up in these sermons that have really helped me in the past few weeks when dealing with my mom guilt, anxieties, loneliness, and overall discouragement with the storms in my life.
As moms it is so easy to feel discouraged, hopeless, lonely and well just plain burnt out and depressed. Who do you turn to in those times in life? Where do you go? What do you look to when life gets hard? It is so very easy to run to the world and get caught up in those lies. It is the self-focused mindset of the world and the things we tell ourselves because of it that lead us down a dark path. Things like well if I only had more of this or that it will make me happy. If I get into this group or talk to these people, do this activity or buy these things then I will be happier, healthier, and more fulfilled. But if you have ever run down these paths than you know they are just a temporary fix to a more serious problem.
How do we respond when the storms of life come our way and God does not make sense? I want to share some truths from God’s Word first, give you key points and questions to ask yourself, honestly, and then some practical advice to help you apply these truths when life gets hard. Most of these are taken from the sermon series from the church we have been attending. If you want to listen to the sermons for yourselves click here.
Truths from God’s Word
Matthew 28:20b “And surely I am with you always to the very end of the age.”
Isaiah 41:10 ” So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.”
Proverbs 3:5-6 “Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him and he will make your paths straight.”
Colossians 3: 1-2 “Since then you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things.”
Philippians 4:6 ” Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.”
Key Points and Questions
Storms in our life do not always make or break us but they always expose us. Tough times expose our:
- Who and what we depend on
- Where our faith is and what it is in
- The foundation our lives are actually built on
Jesus Christ himself is the only true foundation that gives us salvation, assurance and peace with God through any storm in life. Any other foundation, person or thing will crumble when the troubles of life hit. Thank God he is greater and more powerful than anything that this life can throw at us.
- What are the storms exposing in your life?
- How do you respond when God does not make sense?
- Is God doing something in your life you are confused or hurt about?
- How do you win the battle with discouragement on a daily basis?
- When you are overwhelmed, go to God- true relief comes when you first go to the one who is fully in control. Don’t try to fix the problem yourself- go to God first!
- When God seems silent keep pursuing Him- it is not a once and done kinda thing, keep going to him for all your needs (even if that means it’s every hour, minute or second of the day).
- When God’s answers seem harsh, trust Him and keep talking to him- don’t stop conversing with God just because you did not like his answer. Don’t shut down and shut yourself off!
- Look up to God by praying, praising, pursuing him and remembering your position with him. You are a child of God, deeply loved, cared for and worth dying for- don’t forget how much you truly mean to God! You have value, worth, and meaning to him now and forever!
I hope that after reading through these questions and application points you were able to really think about what you do when you are discouraged and where your hope really lies. I know for me these were hard questions to answer and even harder points to apply. I don’t always run to God first, I usually try to fix it myself. I certainly don’t pursue God as I should but I know that my faith is secure in him, my hope is in Him and what Christ has done for me and nothing in this life or the next can change that. I love this song from We are Messengers “Maybe it’s Ok” that reminds me of the truth.
Hang in their moms, don’t let yourself get caught up in the storms of life, keep fighting the battle and running the race. We are all in this together and you are never alone!
Until next time,