It’s almost 2020! It’s time to start thinking about goals, resolutions, and the healthy habits you want to establish in the new year. So we put together a guide or a challenge for moms everywhere to come together for the month of January and focus on our health. Our hope is that this challenge will help you develop healthy habits that carry over into February, March, and all of 2020.
Health is not simply losing weight, or toning up. Being healthy encompasses mental health, spiritual health, as well as physical health. You should not neglect one and devote yourself solely to another.
Need some healthy mom lifestyle inspiration? Our Healthy Moms challenge focuses on all three aspects of health and helps you begin to intentionally create healthy habits to support your overall well-being.
Moms too often neglect their own health while caring for everyone else in their family. While we need to care for our families if we don’t make or our own health a priority not only will our health suffer but our families will suffer as well.
The challenge focuses on six healthy habits to help guide us to become healthier moms!
- Spend time praying and reading your Bible every day. (If you don’t make this a priority it is easy to become too busy to fit it in your schedule.) Don’t neglect your spiritual health. We need that time daily to focus on our Savior. KT put together an awesome post featuring reading plans for this upcoming year. She also created an inspiring printable with an encouraging verse to read with your kids each day! Be sure to check that post out here.
- Get fresh air for 30 minutes every day. It is too easy to get stuck in a rut, especially in the winter, and not get outside. Fresh air helps clear your head, eases stress, boosts energy, increases your immunity, and improves your mood, just to name a few! There are a ton more healthy benefits simply to getting outside. Make this a part of your daily routine with the kids.
- Move your body 3-5 times a week. Plan in advance which days will be your exercise days and actually put it on your calendar. There are so many great workout plans to chose from, and on Instagram, there are mom accounts that provide workouts for moms to exercise right from their homes with only bodyweight or some light weights. @bubs2bikinis, @deliciouslyfitnhealthy, @getmomstrong, and @ourfitfamilylife are just a few accounts where you can find good workouts for mamas. (@bubs2bikinis is the account I am following and using her workout plans. No, I am not trying to get fit for a bikini but her workouts are great to get me moving at home. The workouts are normally 15-20 minutes and I do them right in my family room.)
- Need a snack after 8 pm? Make it a fruit or vegetable. Late-night snacking is such a temptation! Nursing and pregnant mamas especially get hungry often and need extra calories. Rather than trying to tell yourself you can’t eat after a specific time simply reach for healthy and nutritious snacks that will help you feel good and fill you up. This is a great habit to start and stick with!
- Limit sugary snacks to once a week. Moms, sugar makes us feel even more tired! It tastes great, but it gives us a short high and then we crash. Sugar plays a roll in mental health and how our immune system functions. Sugar also hinders us from weight loss or even maintaining our current weight. A little sugar is fine, but limiting our intake of it is in our best interest for our overall health. (This one is going to be hard for me! I love cookies and ice cream.)
- Up your water intake. One way to find out how much water you should be drinking a day is to divide your body weight in half, and then divide that number by 8. Example: 150/2=75 then take 75/8=9.3 glasses. So if you weigh 150 pounds you should be aiming for a little over 9 glasses of water a day. Get a good water bottle you like and start keeping track of how much water you are drinking. Drinking the right amount of water for our bodies boosts energy, increases our immune response, helps prevent mood swings, and increases motivation. Water sounds like the miracle drink for all moms!
Here is a Free Habit Tracker to help you stay on track with the Mom Challenge!
- Maybe you want to jump in on the challenge but feel like you don’t have time. Here is what this challenge could look like practically in your day:
|Wake up 1 hour before your kids|
|Fill up your water bottle|
|Spend 15 minutes reading your Bible and praying while drinking water|
|Workout for 15 minutes using a home workout plan|
|15-Minutes to do your hair and makeup|
|Check the weather for the best time of the day to get you and your kids outside for at least 30 minutes. Schedule it into your day.|
|Go about your normal day’s activities with your children bringing your water bottle along|
|Remember to skip sugary snacks today!|
|After 8 pm reach for fruits and veggies only while drinking your water|
|Fill out your habit tracker and see what you need to tweak or improve at for tomorrow!|
|That’s it! It will take some planning, but you can do it!|
Looking for a planner to help you organize your day? This is the planner I have used for the past two years and really like.
Are you still feeling like there isn’t enough time in your day to do anything extra? Check out this two-week class I took a few years ago to makeover my mornings. I went through Crystal’s course to get my mornings more organized, which set up my whole day for success. I highly recommend you check it out if you are trying to get more organized and accomplish more each day.
Use this FREE water tracker to help you get all the water you need each day!
We would love for you to join us in this challenge! Let us know in the comments if you are with us.
Also, be sure to check out:
SurvivingMoms Nicole is beginning a series in January that is all focused on mental health for mamas. The series will run for the entire next year and will have 12 installments. Here is a snapshot of what will be included in this series. She gets real about postpartum depression and her experiences. Make sure to subscribe to our emails so you don’t miss any of this series.
Make it a great day!